Sunday, May 24, 2009

Helping Hands


As I sit here on our front porch, listening to our rain barrels filling with rain, I am thinking about the very busy week that has just officially ended and am enjoying the break that the rain is providing.

This past week we were fortunate enough to have some extra hands in the garden. Great thanks to shareholders Emma and Dave, who came out to the farm on Wednesday to help prepare our tomato plants for the long season ahead. They weeded and mulched our whole tomato crop! What a sight to come home to after our first CSA delivery!

On Friday, my mom (visiting from Pennsylvania) and another Bramble Hill Farm shareholder, Beth, helped transplant another crop of lettuce and prepare for more of our cucumbers. Soon thereafter, Bret and 20 students from the Abintra Montessrori School arrived ready to get their hands dirty! They helped prepare beds for planting, created bamboo teepees for beans, weeded existing beds, and planted the second half of our summer squash. This was a great start to the weekend!
Bret, my mom, and I spent Saturday soaking up the sun in the garden. A bit behind schedule, we transplanted eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, squash, and flowers. As I type, a beautiful steady, light rain is falling…perfect for the new transplants!


I hope you all enjoy your memorial day, whether in-doors or out!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are off to a good season! Thanks for letting us be a part of your beautiful farm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    I work with your Mom and she told me about your farm. I read the article that she sent me. I am now a "follower" of your blog. I think it's awesome what you 2 are doing and wish I was younger so I could do the same. Good luck!!

    Carl Lucas (carlflucas.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete